root password

Steve Fullerton fullerton.steve at gmail.com
Fri Jan 11 15:10:25 EST 2008

Hi - I don't to varciperate, however --- think about toys.  A child uses a
toy to discover things about his/her universe at a certain point in time.
That is the concept behind OLPC.  In constructionist philosophy, a child is
given the tools to construct and more importantly share constructed music &
 videos (e.g. tam tam) rather then to listen to them.

On Jan 10, 2008 7:44 PM, Ivan Krstić <krstic at solarsail.hcs.harvard.edu>
wrote:

> On Jan 10, 2008, at 10:19 PM, Carl-Daniel Hailfinger wrote:
> > Besides the nasty wording of your criticism of Albert's opinion, it is
> > quite interesting that you think emphasizing the toy factor
> > "displays a
> > stunning level of ignorance and failure of comprehension".
>
> In context, Albert uses the word 'toy' as invective. I read his
> message to say, approximately, that any real use of the machines will
> be restricted to those kids that the machines turn into bearded UNIX
> hackers; to all other kids, they'll be nothing more than a video game
> platform.
>
> That position is irreconcilable with the project's stated purpose or
> the philosophy behind it.
>
> --
> Ivan Krstić <krstic at solarsail.hcs.harvard.edu> | http://radian.org

Regards,