autologin and Console font (Was: root password)

Bernardo Innocenti bernie at codewiz.org
Thu Jan 10 12:49:42 EST 2008

(cc kbd, alexey, andries)

Albert Cahalan wrote:
> On Jan 3, 2008 4:06 AM, Bernardo Innocenti <bernie at codewiz.org> wrote:
>> Albert Cahalan wrote:
>
>> I quite like this "Press ESC twice for shell" solution.  Reminds
>> of the FidoNet era, if you're old enough to know what I'm
>> talking about.
>
> Merely switching to the console should do the job.
> Linux provides an ioctl, VT_WAITACTIVE, to let a
> program wait for a tty to become activated.
>
> With the SAK solution, child death will notify the
> parent process. The parent can then start getty.

For now, we added an option to mingetty to wait for enter
before proceeding to the autologin.  And I did the same
for agetty on ttyS0.

These changes landed in joyride yesterday.  Check it out
and let me know if you like it.

If you write a minimal "autogetty", I'd be willing to
take it for the additional memory saving.  But please,
also do the packaging and fedora review process.

> I have about 2000 glyphs, but Linux currently can't handle
> more than 256 (or 512 w/o bright backgrounds) because the
> internal representation is still tied to VGA.
>
> I thus trim my font to the regular PC character set. If the
> kernel were fixed though, you could have 2000 glyphs.
>
> The 256-glyph file is attached.

Looks nice!

I'm soon going to branch the kbd package in OLPC-2 to add a
couple of console keyboard maps that Walter made.  We could
use this opportunity to add your font.

Please, also send me the full font, and let me know under
what license the original glyphs were.

I just got in contact with the Fedora and top-level kbd
maintainers (reading us on cc) to push our changes back
upstream.  Is it ok if I contribute your font upstream?

> The project has failed if it doesn't create new UNIX die hards.
> These will be the people who drive the future economy.
> The non-nerd kids are getting toys.

We can expect a (small) percentage of the kids to become very
good hackers.  Didn't we all learn this very same way? :-)

--
 \___/
 |___|   Bernardo Innocenti - http://www.codewiz.org/