mesh portal discovery

david at lang.hm david at lang.hm
Thu Jan 10 19:09:12 EST 2008

On Thu, 10 Jan 2008, Dan Williams wrote:

>> In the server-based backend, an IP address change *will* cause a
>> disconnect and reconnect. This is definitely unavoidable, since XMPP
>> uses a long-lived TCP connection to the server.
>
> IP addresses are going to change; that's a fact of life.  The best
> anyone can do is try to not make an IP address change a traumatic
> experience for the user, and provide mechanisms to ensure that whatever
> the user was working on at the time doesn't just disappear in a puff of
> smoke.

this means changing every app to be aware of IP changes so that they know
that they need to re-connnect to the far end. and for many apps,
modifying them to be able to pick up where they left off (and to do so in
a secure way so that bad guys can't claim to be you on a new IP address
and connect into an authenticated session)

good luck in re-writing the world.

now, if you are willing to throw way all existing software (and solve the
reconnect security problems) you may be able to make it work, but there
are no apps that work this way today that I am aware of.

David Lang