mesh portal discovery

david at lang.hm david at lang.hm
Thu Jan 10 01:59:07 EST 2008

On Wed, 9 Jan 2008, John Watlington wrote:

> On Jan 9, 2008, at 6:32 PM, david at lang.hm wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 9 Jan 2008, John Watlington wrote:
>>
>>> Sounds like you are volunteering to write that code.
>>> We need it by early next week.
>>>
>>> Yes, mobile IPv6 is one of our long-term solution possibilities.
>>
>> two things.
>>
>> 1. I didn't realize that participation wasn't desired except by people
>> volunterring to write the code (the discussion sounded like people were
>> trying to figure out what to do)
>>
>> 2. while I referred to mobile IP, the solution that I then outlined is not
>> that complete.
>>
>> do you want me to shut up until I have completed code to present? or do you
>> want people discussing options and trying to figure out a strategy that
>> will work?
>
> Sorry about the snap, but you have to realize that I am currently the
> developer and QA department for the school
> server, and it isn't even my current job.   And I really do need the answer
> implemented over the next week...
>
> Some handwaving about "the best way to do it" from the peanut gallery is
> fine, but don't expect to be listened to
> unless you can point to existing software or are willing to help implement
> the solution.   We don't have infinite
> (or even sufficient) resources, nor the time for development and testing of
> complex solutions.

I followed up another message to the list with what I hope is a much more
complete suggestion (with much less hand-waving)

> I don't understand your dislike of changing IP addresses.  My current laptop
> does it multiple times a day just fine,
> and it should only happen when a student is moving from one place to another
> (as long as Javier's comments about
> avoiding flapping are heeded).   We have a presence service which provides a
> way for P2P applications to find
> one another, even after the IP changes.

I tend to do things where I have long-term connections, and those
connections will be reset each time the IP changes.

admitedly much of what I do is not going to be your typical school type
situation, but even things like streaming audio will break and get reset
if the IP of the box changes.

when people normally use a paptop and have it change addresses on them,
it's typically doing so at times when they would expect disruption
(useually at a time when they would close the laptop anyway)

there's a reson that DHCP tries hard to continue to use the same address.
hack a DCHP server to have it refuse all renewal requests and issue
different IP addresses each time, and you will see a bunch of problems
(set a low lease time to aggrevate the issue)

David Lang