Fwd: Dailymotion for XO laptop

Rob Savoye rob at welcomehome.org
Thu Jan 10 00:39:08 EST 2008

David Woodhouse wrote:

> Does Gnash not use gstreamer and hence work with the extra codec plugins
> which are already available in livna?

   Yes, we support Gstreamer 0.10, ffmpeg or libmad directly. I haven't
had a chance to figure out why, but for whatever reason, the build of
Gnash for the XO, which uses gstreamer, don't seem to work with the
ffmpeg-gst plugin from Livna's Fedora repository.

> Having to _build_ it with the problematic support would seem to be a
> poor design decision.

   On the XO, using ffmpeg directly has much better performance that
Gstreamer. Our ffmpeg support dates from when Gstreamer 0.8 was out,
which was insufficient for Gnash. 0.10 works, but it's far from optimal
performance.

	- rob -