Fwd: Dailymotion for XO laptop

Rob Savoye rob at welcomehome.org
Thu Jan 10 00:04:20 EST 2008

tridge at samba.org wrote:

> We really need a open project to do patent analysis of this kind and
> determine which of these key patents (not just codecs, but also other
> important blocking patents) can be avoided, and which ones are too
> tied to the format to avoid. Perhaps the OLPC project would provide a
> good bit of motivation for people to do this type of work?

   As of last week, I've incorporated the Open Media Now! foundation to
work on issues like this. Our current projects are Gnash and Cygnal
(Cygnal being our media server). We hope to expand this as I raise
funding to work on the political and legal aspects. Yes, good lawyers
are expensive... I do believe that figuring out a clean and legal path
through this minefield is very important for free software.

	- rob -