Fwd: Dailymotion for XO laptop

Benjamin M. Schwartz bmschwar at fas.harvard.edu
Wed Jan 9 16:32:35 EST 2008

On Wed, 2008-01-09 at 22:19 +0100, Sebastien Adgnot wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Thanks a lot for your help and comments.
>
> However it seems quite difficult for us to encode our videos in
> Theora+Vorbis right now. I'm gonna talk to different people in the
> company to get their opinion and see what we can do.

If your difficulty is technical, then there are dozens of multimedia and
web software experts here who would love to step in and help you (at no
charge).

> In the meantime, I've heard of the Helix Media Player
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helix_(project) for the OLPC project? It
> won't be of any help?

The Helix Player is no longer included in the OLPC distribution, though
it is available as an optional download.  Helix Player only provides
Theora video.  The user can manually download additional binary-only
codecs, but this is not supported by OLPC.  This is no easier than
having users manually install Adobe's binary Flash plugin, which OLPC
also cannot distribute.