jffs zlib tuning

Bernardo Innocenti bernie at codewiz.org
Mon Jan 7 13:20:11 EST 2008

NoiseEHC wrote:

> 4. Bernardo, as I imagine you are compiling kernels every day. If I send
> you a "patch" (normally a rewritten inffast.c), would you test it on a
> real XO machine, please?

I don't build kernels every day, but I'd be delighted to test
such an improvement.  And if you make it clean enough, I'm sure
it would have an easy way into the mainline kernel.

However, I recommend hacking in libz first, making it work with
gzip, and staert porting it to the kernel next step. Debugging
and benchmarking in userspace is *so* much easier.

Also, I'd be very surprised if such an obvious optimization
hadn't been tried already in 20+ years of gzip.  Try digging
around: you may find that it's not worth it.

--
 \___/
 |___|   Bernardo Innocenti - http://www.codewiz.org/