wiki is being spammed with huge numbers of new pages

Bernardo Innocenti bernie at codewiz.org
Sun Jan 6 09:33:05 EST 2008

Iain (OLPC) Davidson wrote:
> In the  community spirit of wikis and controlling spam., some thoughts
> come to mind.
>
> If the wiki spam gets so bad, that it it takes important time from
> others.... How about the idea of turning on 'email confirmation
> required' on new accounts, and/or account required to make edits ? (or
> at least, not logged in users can only edit some Talk: and own user page??)

I would agree to adopt very light restrictions such as those
you propose only if the problem became really serious.

The spirit of a wiki is to keep the cost of making edits as low
as possible so that more people will contribute changes.
And a small percentage of these will eventually become important
editors.

The above paragraph sounds like visionary speech.  I'm very glad
I can point at the Wikipedia as a proof I'm not totally crazy :-)

--
 \___/
 |___|   Bernardo Innocenti - http://www.codewiz.org/