Printing et al.

Carol Lerche cafl at msbit.com
Fri Jan 4 16:53:09 EST 2008

Ed's suggestion of a web server/electronic means for submitting assignments
or other content to the teacher is excellent in addition to any print
capability that may be needed, as in Jim's use case.  But speaking from
several years' experience supporting technology in a K-8 school, I would
urge that a seamless mechanism for this be integrated into the school server
and XO software before deployment, so that it can become part of the culture
of the school from the beginning.  I believe Moodle has such features, if
that is still being considered.

It would definitely not be appropriate for this to be left as an exercise to
the students.  It is too important to the perceived utility of the
deployment that this sort of universal school administrivia  (submission of
assignments, in some form) "just work" and exhibit evidence of having been
thought through.  If printers are to be made truly unimportant for many use
cases (and the elimination of the need for paper on the part of the kids and
teachers would seem to enhance the cost benefit analysis for olpc adoption),
an appealing and robust alternative must be present from the beginning.

Carol Lerche