Printing et al.

Kent Loobey kent at uoregon.edu
Fri Jan 4 11:37:47 EST 2008

This is such a hard issue to generalize about.

Back before, I worked for a company that developed software for the education
market.  When we asked the administrators that bought our products if they
wanted printing ability they said no but if we asked the teachers in the
class room they said yes.  We never included printing as a feature in our
software because the teachers didn't make the buying decision.

My daughter has spent several years in Africa.  It is hard for us to
appreciate how hard it will be for some areas to get anything extra.  Paper,
printers, tonor cartrdges, and usb drives are as out of reach to them as are
computers at this moment.

I could be wrong of course.  "Back before" was ten years ago and the situation
may have changed and I have never been to Africa.