Project hosting application - TalknType

Carol Lerche cafl at msbit.com
Thu Jan 3 12:41:18 EST 2008

Agree that this is a worthy project.  Two suggestions:

1.  Chunking -- It would be awesome if the word pronouncer could pronounce
using "chunking" as well, the method literacy teachers use to help emergent
readers learn phonics decoding skills.  See links on the Phonics page for
some resources about this, especially the Canadian  phonics site that
provides word lists with specific sound combos.

2.  Like some other activities for young children (gcompris comes to mind)
it would be very beneficial to have an underlying python "word bank" library
that would return word lists and (optionally) images according to a tagging
scheme.  This would allow an integrated focus on vocabulary lists and
learning progression in a classroom setting.  It should be accompanied by a
means for teachers to easily supply the lists and the tagging.

I admit that I don't know the applicability of this to the teaching of
reading in languages other than English, however I have discussed this idea
on #olpc-content with MartinMai of omegawiki, and he thinks it would be
possible to add phonetic spelling as a field in the data and associated
machine-friendly access interface there.

Thanks for your creativity.

On Jan 3, 2008 9:30 AM, Joshua Minor <j at lux.vu> wrote:

> On Jan 3, 2008, at 7:16 AM, Tom Hannen wrote:
> > 1. Project name             : TalknType
> > 2. Existing website, if any : http://wiki.laptop.org/go/TalknType
>
> Tom, this is very cool.  I might be able to help out also.  I made
> this toy that might go well with your spelling game.  It is a front
> end to espeak that looks like a face.  You can type and it will speak
> back to you.  The mouth is the audio waveform (borrowed from Measure).
>
> http://wiki.laptop.org/images/7/7e/Speak-1.xo
>
> -josh

"Always do right," said Mark Twain. "This will gratify some people and
astonish the rest."