Circumventing kernel signing

Mitch Bradley wmb at laptop.org
Thu Jan 3 02:52:42 EST 2008

At some point, when these fairly obvious loopholes that we have known
about since forever are closed, we plan to change the key so new
machines will only run the more secure OS versions.  Old machines will
continue to be vulnerable until they are upgraded to new firmware with
the new key, and some old machine may always be vulnerable.

Meanwhile, I reiterate my earlier claim that a no-modules kernel will be
easier to secure.  Even if you require signed modules, the extra
complexity creates attack opportunities.  Each additional door is a
ingress opportunity.