Kernel configuration options

Bernardo Innocenti bernie at codewiz.org
Thu Jan 3 01:38:49 EST 2008

John Richard Moser wrote:
> Albert Cahalan wrote:
>> [various people]

>> Since there are no clock ticks when idle, you may as well go
>> with 1000. It's better for music and video.
>
> Good idea!

We can't enable it without doing some power profiling first.
cjb has been doing lots of work in this area, so I wonder
what he thinks about it.

Many distros compromise on 250Hz, which provides more than
enough precision for humans, while being 4x cheaper than 1000Hz.

>> Those debug symbols are required so that "ps -el" can tell you
>> where a process is stuck. Better:
>>
>> ps -emostat,wchan:22,pid,tid,pcpu,comm,args
>
> I did not know about this!  :)

Me neither...  "emostat", lol!

>> Also, do not remove hugetlbfs. One could use that for speed
>> in programs that deal with big arrays. I've actually seen the
>> difference in a performance class I took. It can really matter.
>
> Nods.  That comment was because someone said there were no huge pages on
> the Geode, which would render hugetlbfs useless.  It's perfectly useful
> if you have huge pages.

It was me, but I was evidently mistaken.

Still, I wonder if there are actually any real users of the
hugetlb facility in our distro or even in the rest of Fedora.

--
 \___/
 |___|   Bernardo Innocenti - http://www.codewiz.org/