Kernel configuration options

Tom Sylla tsylla at gmail.com
Tue Jan 1 23:35:37 EST 2008

On Jan 1, 2008 9:50 PM, Bernardo Innocenti <bernie at laptop.org> wrote:
> So I wonder why we couldn't use these to speed up access
> to the framebuffer in the amd_drv X driver.

I don't understand, this was always taken care of.

http://openbios.org/viewvc/cpu/x86/pc/olpc/lxmsrs.fth?view=markup&revision=739&root=OpenFirmware
has:
  msr: 0000.1810 fdfff000.fd000111.  \ Video (write through), fbsize

which is setting the framebuffer as write-combining. (the "write
through" comment is incorrect)

I don't have current hardware to check if this is the way things are
at run-time (maybe something over-writes that register later), but it
was all working fine at some point in the past.