Kernel configuration options

Tom Sylla tsylla at gmail.com
Tue Jan 1 21:36:18 EST 2008

Bernardo Innocenti wrote:

>>> I'd keep the debug symbols (which shouldn't cost any memory
>>> at runtime).
>> Possibly not.  The kernel runs inside one giant huge page doesn't it?
>> 4MiB read-write-execute...
>
> Not on the Geode: we don't have MTRRs, so I guess the kernel
> is being mapped by 4KB pages.

4MB page support is unrelated to MTRR support. (one is related to linear
addresses, the other physical addresses; please see the Intel or AMD
documentation on paging and caching)

Geode LX supports 4MB pages, it is reported as such in CPUID, and should
be used by the kernel.

Also note that Geode LX has "RCONFs" instead of MTRRs, which have the
same functionality, and they are all programmed properly by the firmware.