Uniting the community's infrastructure

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky znmeb at cesmail.net
Tue Jan 1 19:41:18 EST 2008

Chris Hager wrote:
> Hi all!
>
>  From now on, the channel #olpc-groups is open with the ambition to
> connect local communities from everywhere! I can imagine a lot of
> potential for collaborations, projects, problem solving and
> not-reinventing-the-wheel :) !
>
> SJ and I have talked about the current status of the irc-infrastructure
> for the communities, and had some ideas for the future. Basically,
>
> 1. many of the local channels are inactive
> 2. we have had no channel to cross-connect communities
> 3. the channel #olpc-europe developed from the ccc
> 4. the whole olpc project is gaining momentum
>
> =>
>
> 5. the logical next step would be a united communities-channel to focus
> our common effort!
>
> We could basically connect via #olpc-groups on a global basis, and use
> #olpc-europe/asia/africa/... for regional discussions.
>
> The same idea could apply to some of the mailing-lists. We can basically
> use the grassroots list (http://lists.laptop.org/listinfo/grassroots)!
> Please post feedback to grassroots at lists.laptop.org.
>
> I wish you all an interesting and successful year 2008!
>
> - chris
> (olpc austria)

Well, like a lot of the Internet and life in general, things tend to
"self-organize". I've started a Google group for Portland Oregon XO
"owners", and I'm personally on quite a few of the other mailing lists.
In any event, I'm not sure it's time yet for any "consolidation", either
on mailing lists/Google Groups or in IRC. I think the best we should
hope for at this point is to ask everyone on IRC to use the characters
"olpc" in naming channels. That way, the IRC client channel listers can
find them.