Kernel configuration options

Bernardo Innocenti bernie at laptop.org
Tue Jan 1 18:26:18 EST 2008

Mitch Bradley wrote:

> I would argue that support for some reasonable subset of important USB
> devices - e.g. mass storage, network, and HID - should be compiled-in
> and we should support the rest of the wide world of USB from userland,
> e.g. with libusb.

There are no libusb based drivers at this time for many,
many popular USB devices.

And in some cases, such as my $30 TV dongle, there's no way
to pipe data back into the kernel to reach the appropriate
layer (v4l2 and alsa in this case).

We'd better rethink our security strategy so that we can
verify kernel modules somehow and/or prevent the user from
replacing them.

--
 \___/
 |___|   Bernardo Innocenti - http://www.codewiz.org/