Kernel configuration options

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky znmeb at cesmail.net
Tue Jan 1 16:52:39 EST 2008

Mitch Bradley wrote:
>  From a security standpoint, there is an advantage to building in
> everything.  The main kernel is verified with a crypto signature before
> it is executed.  Loading a module without first verifying a
> similarly-strong signature weakens the security.
>
> Modules are a good idea for kernels that are intended to run on a wide
> variety of hardware.  I am in favor of treating XO like an appliance and
> making the kernel as monolithic as possible.

I'm not familiar with the security stuff in general or this case in
particular. But I think the "trend" in the Linux community has been
towards more flexibility, moving stuff from kernel space to user space, etc.

Then again, since the *hardware* is soldered onto the mainboard and
can't be easily expanded, why shouldn't the *kernel* be just as
inflexible? ;)