[Server-devel] Google Summer of Code and OLPC

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Fri Feb 29 22:33:40 EST 2008

On Fri, Feb 29, 2008 at 12:01 PM, Sayamindu Dasgupta
<sayamindu at gmail.com> wrote:
> Ok - here's the idea page - http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Summer_of_Code/2008/Ideas
>
>  Thanks,
>  Sayamindu

I added a few of the ideas we have discussed on this list, and thought
of a few more. Is there any code we need for localization and
translation work? For example, to match strings between our Pootle and
the one for KhmerOS and automatically populate ours with suggestions?

Projects

    * Integrate espeak engine with all activities, not just Speak, and
provide for karaoke coloring. See Mokurai's article on adapting Same
Language Subtitling for literacy to the XO.

    * Sugar Factory, an automated method for Sugarizing non-Python
applications. Albert Cahalan has some of this working now.

    * Localization and Content conversion, for those who don't code.
Coders can provide tools.

    * Document reader with annotation capability

    * GIS activity for XO. Engineers Without Borders, Timepedia, and
International Symposium on Digital Earth want to work with OLPC to
create community-based mapping data collection systems that will feed
to global mapping and analysis projects, which will then feed back to
the children and their communities. Environment, health,
agriculture...

    * Extend Gnash to read more data formats, in particular those at
OLPC.tv, and Mary Lou Jepsen's presentation at the Greener Gadgets
Conference. Integrate Supat's SSS code and move it upstream.

    * Feed generated data from simulations or the software synthesizer
into the Measure activity.

    * More generally, support snap-together programming of XO
activities in the manner that Turtle Art and Etoys provide internally.
--
Edward Cherlin
http://www.EarthTreasury.org/