Is read_file() always called after an activity __init__?

John Gilmore gnu at toad.com
Fri Feb 29 21:12:50 EST 2008

> Hmmm, so if my activity needs it's preferences before it can display
> anything to the user, potential future lazy loading of the data-store
> (to try and speed up general activity start-up time) is going to leave
> folks watching my activity with a blank screen for a lazy while? Ouch.

Ahem.  The Grand Unified Theory of OLPC was that the datastore/journal
were going to entirely replace the filesystem (as far as Activites
are concerned).  Activities aren't permitted to read/write the ordinary
Linux filesystem, according to this theory.

If the datastore isn't just as ready, just as fast, and just as
available as the filesystem, e.g. for holding tiny little files that
rapidly keep the Activity's configuation options, then there's
something terribly wrong here.

	John