Avahi optimisations

C. Scott Ananian cscott at cscott.net
Tue Feb 26 01:29:24 EST 2008

On Tue, Feb 26, 2008 at 12:57 AM, Morgan Collett
<morgan.collett at collabora.co.uk> wrote:
> Michael Stone wrote:
>  >>    * Minimize size of announced services (i.e. drop unnecessary data from TXT)
>  >>      - The biggest item in the TXT of contacts is the key (which is BIG). But
>  >>        this key is a requirement of bitfrost, so we can't get rid of it

The obviously correct thing to do is transmit the key *hash* and only
send the full key if it is explicitly requested.  If buddy identity
means anything to you, you've got the full key stored locally anyway,
and you only need to transfer it *once* when the buddy is added the
first time.  sha-256 is only 32 bytes, almost a 20-fold reduction in
size.
  --scott
--
                         ( http://cscott.net/ )