Avahi optimisations

Sjoerd Simons sjoerd at luon.net
Mon Feb 25 15:58:49 EST 2008

On Mon, Feb 25, 2008 at 02:42:21PM -0500, Jim Gettys wrote:
> Search for "sleep" in draft-cheshire-ext-multicastdns.txt.  My memory is
> that Lennart said there wasn't anything implemented in Avahi for these
> cases.
>
> Rather than "improvements", I'm worried that frequent suspend/resumes
> may be generating unneeded traffic.

Right. I misinterpreted your comment. As far as i can tell, by not implementing
suspend detection avahi actually saves you from extra traffic. As in, it won't
send gratuitous announcements after wake-up or flush it cache faster then
normal.

What does actually cause extra traffic is the fact that during the sleep period
avahi misses MDNS packets. Which prevents duplicate {Question,Answer}
supressions from working as intended.

  Sjoerd
--
Facts are stubborn, but statistics are more pliable.