Salut and Suspend/Resume issues

Jameson "Chema" Quinn jquinn at cs.oberlin.edu
Sat Feb 23 13:24:57 EST 2008

Just some bikeshedding here:

Quasi-synchronising the avahi peer "still there?" queries so that they all
happen together - say, within a 1-minute period every 10 minutes - was
proposed as a solution so that laptops could wake up in anticipation
(Benjamin Schwartz). The fact that this solution did not get attention may
mean that people are not considering that it would also make a night-and-day
difference in power consumption even if the laptops are able to
wake-on-multicast. The fact that I can wake up and answer the phone, or that
I sometimes stay up late, doesn't mean I wouldn't rather the calls were
bunched together so I can get some sleep.

This could be implemented using the system clock, without any new
ultra-synchronization plan. If it's a fuzzy window anyway, it still helps
even if synchronization is fuzzy and the occasional laptop is totally
unsynchronized. The only thing necessary is that all timeouts involved
should be an even divisor of one hour if they are not already.

Obviously this has nothing to do with the mdns problem, which now has its
own depressing thread.