Sprint Projects/Resources for PyCon 2008 Sprints

Mike C. Fletcher mcfletch at vrplumber.com
Fri Feb 22 09:31:16 EST 2008

Hi all,

We'll being doing an Activities sprint after PyCon2008, March 17th
(evening) to the afternoon of the 20th.  We'll likely have 8-10 Python
programmers of various skill levels available.  Given the compressed
time-frame, we should be able to either complete very small projects or
work on existing projects.  We've got a pretty good set of "small
project" tasks outlined in the OLPC Austria wiki and the main OLPC wiki,
but new programmers will likely be looking for projects they can join as
well.

I'm intending to spend any coding time I have (when I'm not helping the
teams) working on Productive and/or the OLPCGames wrapper it uses.  I
can readily absorb about 3-4 programmers into those projects, but I
expect there will be people would would rather work on something else,
but who don't feel comfortable starting their own project or joining a
"new" project.

So if you:

    * are a project lead for an Activity
          o something where you already have code and can make use of
            (junior) collaborators
    * will be available on IRC during the sprint time-frame to act as a
      mentor for new coders
          o particularly in the evening on Sunday the 17th and then
            Monday daytime to get people started
          o right through until Wednesday would be useful
    * have some set of tasks that you feel a new coder could work on as
      a starting point for joining your project
          o if you have reasonably self-contained tickets in the tracker
            that's probably the best approach

let me know so I can suggest your project to participants as a
"mentored" introductory projects.  I'll try to familiarize myself with
your code-base before the sprints so that I can help out if people get
stuck.

Thanks all,
Mike