The XO and email

Shikhar shikhar at schmizz.net
Wed Feb 20 20:25:15 EST 2008

Hi,

I would like to get the general feeling about the XO and email. There is
a Gmail activity but no possibility of composing and viewing emails
offline, which I think is important.

Also, I want to post some of my ideas for an email activity for
feedback, and know of any fundamental flaws. My motivation is to be
working on this as a Summer of Code project. I would like to be doing
this regardless, but my academic schedule would not allow for it except
this summer

- With Python, an email activity can be accomplished with the
RFC-compliant email modules (for POP, SMTP, IMAP, MIME) and using sqlite
for storage. So while building upon Tinymail
(http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Tinymail) is an idea, it makes sense to just
go with Python email modules and sqlite if the next point is to be
implemented :-)

- Email should be organized around tags not folders (Tinymail uses
traditional mailbox formats), and to that effect also make it easy to
tag email, as easy as dragging and dropping a tag onto a message. Basic
automatic tagging ('received', 'sent', 'unsent', 'trash', 'junk';
'listname' when mailing list headers found)

- A separate non-essential daemon can be implemented waits for internet
access and performs sending of unsent email and receiving of new
messages when internet access is available. Rationale: a child may not
launch the activity when internet access is available.

- Use service descriptors, so that minimal setup (only username and
password) is required for common email services like Gmail. This also
lays the ground for the client querying the school server for a service
descriptor in case it becomes common for school servers to provide email
services. The service descriptor could also provide spam headers which
the service adds on (SpamAssassin, Gmail's spam filtering headers)
although I have not yet researched this point and how easy it would be
to develop a format for describing them

- Email threading: there is some Python code at
http://www.amk.ca/python/code/jwz, which could be adapted

- Search using sql queries

I have a good mental picture of what I want to do - maybe I am not
communicating it too well, but I am willing to elaborate. I would really
like your feedback especially on the fundamental idea of using Python
email modules and sqlite in case I am thinking in the wrong direction,
although this appears to me to be the best approach

Best,

Shikhar