Beyond Hello World

James Simmons jim.simmons at walgreens.com
Wed Feb 20 14:24:09 EST 2008

Eduardo,

This sounds fine to me.  Your document has an Activity bundle section
with a Hello Kids app which doesn't do anything with the Journal.
*Every* tutorial I've seen stops at that point.  My page is an attempt
to fill in the missing information so a developer could learn how to
write an application that works with the Journal.  That information,
though trivial, was *very* hard for me to find.  The only document that
explained it was the Pydoc for Sugar Activity, which was damned hard to
find, especially since I didn't know I was looking for it.

I'm leery of editing a age that someone else has worked on.  I don't
want to wreck anything.  On the other hand, I don't much care what
happens to my own page, as long as the information in it is preserved
somehow or other.  Link to it, copy and paste from it, whatever.

I have some reservations about the "Hacking Sugar" page.  First, the
name could be improved.  To me, "Hacking" implies making something do
things it was not designed to do.  "Use your XO laptop to control your
garage door opener" and the like.  It implies going outside the rules
and doing stuff that voids the warranty.  The general public has its own
ideas about what "hacking" is, which are even worse.  I know that one of
the goals is getting children to make their own Activities, so you need
a title that won't scare their teachers.  I would suggest something like
"Making Your Own Activities".

Second, you are mixing links to content with actual content.  In my
experience with Wikis there is a finite size you can make a page, and
you want pages that are a good size to print out.  If I was doing your
page it would be all links with short abstracts, like most of it is
already.  I'd move the Activity bundle example to its own page.  My page
could be chapter 2, as Edward Cherlin suggested.  My EtextReader
Activity, when it is hosted, could be the sample for that chapter.

James Simmons