git admin, where are you? (was Re: Read ETexts Activity Text To Speech)

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Tue Feb 19 18:48:47 EST 2008

On Feb 19, 2008 7:55 AM, James Simmons <jim.simmons at walgreens.com> wrote:
> Edward,
>
> I've looked at Hemant Goyal's pages on speech synthesis and it looks to
> be a great deal easier than I expected.  The karaoke highlighting looks
> doable too.  While my first priority will be getting my Activity to have
> all of the features that Read has, once I've done that I'd like to try
> adding this new feature.

All excellent news.

> The issue that I'll have with this is making
> it degrade gracefully.  Since text to speech looks like it will be
> shipped with the OS, I have to figure out a way to make this feature
> only be visible on laptops that can support it.

That sounds like a 'not' fell out somewhere. I vote for having TTS
included on every laptop.

> Maybe an extra toolbox
> tab.  I'd also have to figure out a way to test it.  I use xubuntu with
> the Sugar emulator for testing, so somehow I'd have to get Hemant's
> packages on there, probably compiling from source.

I'm sure somebody here can help.

> I submitted the form to this list to get a git repository, etc.  I
> haven't heard from anyone on that since.

Yo! Anybody home?

> I didn't expect instant turnaround on this,

*I* expect instant acknowledgment of applications. At least an
autoreply message saying how long it should take, how you will be
notified when your directory is ready for submissions, and whom to
ping if it isn't happening. I have some applications in preparation.
If I don't get satisfaction when I submit them, and I don't know whom
to ping individually, I will bother lots of people about it. At a
minimum, this entire list, as I am in fact now doing.

Why isn't management on top of these issues?

--
Edward Cherlin
http://www.EarthTreasury.org/