default jabber server?

Wilson Farrell wilsonfarrell at gmail.com
Tue Feb 19 12:41:21 EST 2008

Morgan Collett wrote:
> On Feb 19, 2008 10:08 AM, Adrian Chadd <adrian at squid-cache.org> wrote:
>> Why do the jabber servers get overwhelmed? Surely there's a jabber
>> server implementation that can handle tens of thousands of concurrent
>> users?
>>
>> What software are people using on the servers?
>
> ejabberd - see http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Ejabberd_Configuration. Our
> presence mechanism, a shared roster, doesn't scale well but there are
> other strange stability issues with the configuration we are running -
> consuming all memory and dying etc. Process-one are looking into that.

If anyone gets ejabberd running correctly using those instructions,
please let me (or just the list) know.  I posted a while back with a
list of issues and received no response.  I got busy with other things.
  This thread brought it all back.

Here's a synopsis:
The ejabberd 1.1.4 stuff won't even start, dying with some obscure
erlang error.
The ejabberd 2.0.0 beta stuff is a whole lot more promising.  It
actually runs.
I believe the "setting up shared roster" roster is not correct, and I
had every intention of updating the wiki as soon as I figure out what
was wrong... that never happened.

In short, following those instructions will make it so XO's rarely see
each other, much less share resources.  I started fooling with those
values in the shared roster.  It seems that "Displayed Groups" needs to
be set to the value of the identification (what you called it when it
was created) not the Name, which seems to be a pretty print name.  The
examples at:

http://www.ejabberd.im/shared-roster-all and particularly
http://www.process-one.net/docs/ejabberd/guide_en.html#htoc64

seem to indicate this.

When you do that, XO's can see each other 100% of the time, but shared
resources do not display properly at the remote XO.  (You can invite
others to share and the actual sharing works properly) In the end the
closest I could get to having everything right was setting my shared
roster as such:

Shared Group:     Everybody
Name:             Online
Members:          @online@
Displayed Groups: Everybody

This issue is echo'd here:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Talk:Ejabberd_Configuration by another user I
commiserated with.

If anyone is interested in pursuing this, I can bump my previous post,
but right now its not a high priority for me.

Wilson