Read ETexts Activity Text To Speech

James Simmons jim.simmons at walgreens.com
Tue Feb 19 10:55:12 EST 2008

Edward,

I've looked at Hemant Goyal's pages on speech synthesis and it looks to
be a great deal easier than I expected.  The karaoke highlighting looks
doable too.  While my first priority will be getting my Activity to have
all of the features that Read has, once I've done that I'd like to try
adding this new feature.  The issue that I'll have with this is making
it degrade gracefully.  Since text to speech looks like it will be
shipped with the OS, I have to figure out a way to make this feature
only be visible on laptops that can support it.  Maybe an extra toolbox
tab.  I'd also have to figure out a way to test it.  I use xubuntu with
the Sugar emulator for testing, so somehow I'd have to get Hemant's
packages on there, probably compiling from source.

I submitted the form to this list to get a git repository, etc.  I
haven't heard from anyone on that since.  I didn't expect instant
turnaround on this, and there is definitely no rush, but I am wondering
what to expect.  I'd like to have my projects hosted on the OLPC
servers, where I feel they would be most visible.  On the other hand I
already have a project on SourceForge and it would  be simple enough to
set up another one.

James Simmons