Connection Managers and Presence Service

Dafydd Harries dafydd.harries at collabora.co.uk
Mon Feb 18 06:52:23 EST 2008

Ar 15/02/2008 am 14:35, ysgrifennodd Rene De Santiago:
> I've been looking at how to implement a new communication manager that
> communicates with the OLPC presence service and I'm still trying to
> make sense out of parts involved there, like DBus, the presence
> service and the existing plugins (linklocal_plugin.py and
> server_plugin.py).
>
> Can someone provide more insight on the role of the above plugins? It
> seems that they act as "glue" between the presence service and the
> connection managers implemented in C.  The OLPC wiki also provides a
> list of methods for the Presence Service DBus, what are the plugins
> that interact between the Connection Managers and the Presence Service
> to satisfy these methods.  Furthermore, the DBus documentation talks
> about "bindings" that can be use to interface with it, are the plugins
> mentioned above (linklocal_plugin.py and server_plugin.py) these
> bindings or are they somewhere else?
>
> Also, is there any documentation about the interface between the
> Connection Managers and the activities?  The OLPC wiki only provides a
> brief document about the methods.
>
> Any insight would be appreciated.

  +---------+         +--------+         +---------+ +---------+
  |tp-gabble|         |tp-salut|         |activity1| |activity2|
  +---------+         +--------+         +---------+ +---------+
       |                    |                /  ______ /
       \                    /               /  /
        \          ~       /   :  ^ *      /  /
        +|*   / ?    #   @ ; ,         ] ~ {  ?
         |               /       :       /  /   [
     &    \    ,        /               /  /    +
       %  |            /               /  /
          | @         |  D-Bus      ~  |  |   '
     !    |           |                |  |   (
       "  |     !     |          *     |- |   *
         )| _ <  ?    |    ^ ) %  $ ! _|  | @
          |         } |  =             |  |
          |           |                |  |
  +-------------+ +----------------+   |  |
  |server_plugin| |linklocal_plugin|   |  |
  +-------------+ +----------------+   /  /
           \         /                /  /
            \       /                /  /
      +----------------+____________/  /
      |presence-service|______________/

The presence service plugins run in the same process as the presence service.

The Telepathy connection managers provide a service to the presence service
and the activities.

The presence service provides a service to the activities.

Activities talk to the presence service and the connection managers through a
wrapper library in Sugar.

Hope this clarifies,

--
Dafydd