Read ETexts Activity

James Simmons jim.simmons at walgreens.com
Fri Feb 15 12:12:06 EST 2008

Edward,

I browsed through the links on your Programming For Children pages and
came across the Activity Tutorial
(http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Activity_tutorial).  Like the other tutorials
I've seen it quits just as things are getting interesting.  It gave me
an idea for a new page, which I'd like to call "Beyond Hello World"
which would be on writing an Activity that actually does something
useful.  I would cover such topics as how Sugar activities deal with
files, how to use meta data with Sugar activities, how to create a
standalone Python app that can easily be Sugarized, debugging tips,
etc.  I would use code snippets from my own Activities for sample code.
I would link to it from the "Sugar" page.

I need to finish my own Activities before I write this, but I think it
would be a way to put my "hard won" knowledge in the Wiki without
messing up anything that's already there.  Also, anything I get wrong
could be corrected by others.

James Simmons