Serious side effect of #6299 (silencing salut so gabble can connect)

Morgan Collett morgan.collett at collabora.co.uk
Fri Feb 15 05:14:59 EST 2008

Morgan Collett wrote:
> However, during the period when we stop salut to let gabble try to
> connect, this call fails as there is no running plugin in PS. If an
> activity is launched during this time (and there's no particular UI to
> show this other than no buddies in mesh view) and it makes this call in
> __init__ as most of them do, then it will crash with a gray screen.
>
> This affects: Calculate, Chat, Pippy, Record, Web and Write (of the
> activities we bundle) and potentially other non-bundled activities.

After looking through the code for these activities I tried them all on
build 691, with neither gabble nor salut running - the best way to
reproduce expected behaviour without a schoolserver. (To reproduce, kill
telepathy-gabble if it's running, then kill telepathy-salut.)

Only Pippy actually crashes - it fails to launch completely.

The rest launch and function, but won't be sharable once gabble or salut
are connected. I think that's an acceptable risk for Update.1, as fixing
that would be very intrusive and we don't recover from other related
issues like disconnection.

So I think we can go for #6299 if we just fix Pippy for Update.1. I'll
try and do a patch for Pippy once I've got a Presence Service release
done for Guillaume's fix.

Morgan