Read ETexts Activity

James Simmons jim.simmons at walgreens.com
Thu Feb 14 16:39:12 EST 2008

Edward,

I was not planning on anything so fancy.  Basically, I was frustrated
that I had a device that would be wonderfully suited to reading
Gutenberg etexts and no suitable program to do it with.  I have written
such an Activity and am putting the finishing touches on it.  As I see
it, the selling points of the Activity will be that it can display
etexts one page at a time in a readable proportional font and remember
what page you were on when you resume the activity.  The child can find
his book using the Gutenberg site, save the Zip file version to the
Journal, rename it, resume it, and start reading.  It will also be good
sample code for new Activity developers to look at, even children,
because it is easy to understand yet it does something that is actually
useful.  I have written another Activity which lets you browse through a
bunch of image files stored in a Zip file, and it also would be good
sample code for a new developer, as well as being useful.

I have been programming professionally for almost 30 years and I still
had a hard time learning everything I needed to know to make an
Activity.  Once you know it, it's simple, but collecting that knowledge
a bit at a time is frustrating.  The existing tutorials seem to quit
just when things are getting interesting.

I don't see myself competing with the Read activity or trying to teach
anyone to read.  I wouldn't know how.  I might be of use teaching
children to write simple computer programs.

James Simmons