Serious side effect of #6299 (silencing salut so gabble can connect)

Morgan Collett morgan.collett at collabora.co.uk
Thu Feb 14 13:19:55 EST 2008

Jim Gettys wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-02-14 at 16:58 +0200, Morgan Collett wrote:
>> However, during the period when we stop salut to let gabble try to
>> connect, this call fails as there is no running plugin in PS. If an
>> activity is launched during this time (and there's no particular UI to
>> show this other than no buddies in mesh view) and it makes this call in
>> __init__ as most of them do, then it will crash with a gray screen.
>>
>> This affects: Calculate, Chat, Pippy, Record, Web and Write (of the
>> activities we bundle) and potentially other non-bundled activities.
>
> Ouch...
>
> Seems like this is something we're going to have to fix pretty quickly
> no matter what.
>
>> Our options are:
>>
>> (a) Touch all these activities now and port them to the newer cleaner
>> API offered by PS/Sugar
>
> How big are the diffs?  Does this simplify the code?

Yes, it simplifies the code. Here are the two patches for HelloMesh that
do it:

http://dev.laptop.org/git?p=projects/hellomesh;a=commitdiff;h=723ba547e4d7fe7ccca856b264b10cd9fdd291e6
http://dev.laptop.org/git?p=projects/hellomesh;a=commitdiff;h=e6c15f7c77914bf8c30a119786413685ef19e30b

>> (b) Don't do #6299 for Update.1, but do it and (a) for Update1.1
>
> This would be pretty much immediately, anyway.

Yes, but without holding other things back in between Release Candidates.

>> (c) Find some way for the call to get_preferred_connection to fail
>> gracefully (We can't think of one so far)
>> (d) Make a UI change to let the children know not to launch activities
>> during this time period
>
> Let me ask a different question: what happens to activities already
> running which are running shared?  Are they going to fail?  Presumably,
> yes....

Irrespective of #6299, activities which are shared and lose their
connections, do not receive any updates from other participants, but
otherwise will probably appear to continue to function. There's no UI
indication of failure. The bug for this is #5620.

Morgan