How to create a new MIME type for a Sugar activity?

Mikus Grinbergs mikus at bga.com
Tue Feb 12 19:17:28 EST 2008

Personally, I agree with just about everything John Gilmore said in
his Tue, 12 Feb 2008 13:59:49 -0800 message to Bert Freudenberg.

I frequently ftp materiel to my XO.  Wanted to put one of these into
the datastore (Journal).  Have picked up the .py scripts posted by
Phil Bordelon and Reinier Heeres.  But when I tried to use the
'to-Journal' script, it asked me for the mime-type of the object
(which I did not know, and could not even guess) - so I gave up.

[Currently the OLPC fallback seems to be to have all accesses made
through 'Browse', then asking 'Browse' to store the item.  Bypass
the intermediary ('Browse'), and you've got a whole mess of worms.]

What happened to me brought up visions in my mind of semi-literate
users being asked to fill out "Catalogue Cards" for materiel _given_
to them (Please supply:  Title, Author, Date, Publisher, Edition,
Category, Index string, Country of Origin, Copyright, Keywords,
Pertinent remarks, Contact persons, etc., etc., etc., etc.).

mikus