How to create a new MIME type for a Sugar activity?

Albert Cahalan acahalan at gmail.com
Mon Feb 11 22:17:40 EST 2008

On Feb 11, 2008 10:33 AM, Karl <karl.ramberg at comhem.se> wrote:
> Albert Cahalan wrote:

>> Whatever you invent, Etoys will claim it in the next release.
>> It does not matter if Etoys has any ability to handle the data.
>>
>> I'm half serious too, as is clear to anybody who has looked at
>> the list of MIME types claimed by Etoys and tried them.
>> Almost none make sense. It's like some kind of land grab.
>
> Well, Etoys is a multimedia environment and should handle
> most media types. For authoring active essays where you
> combine simulation, text, pictures  etc you must be able to
> access the media.

I don't think "access the media" means that you should claim
that you can open the file. When you list a MIME type, you're
claiming something more than just an ability to open the file.
You're claiming appropriateness as a default handler.

I expect that you can open an image without claiming that
Etoys is suitable for opening images. If not, then please file
a bug for the datastore.

Only the application/x-squeak-* things are appropriate.
(maybe not even all of those, but I don't know what each
type is for)