[Community-news] OLPC News (2008-02-09)

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Mon Feb 11 04:37:00 EST 2008

> what's the power draw of the WLAN chip if the transmitter is turned off?

Most of the power goes into the receiver.  Yes, that might seem
counter-intuitive.

To first order, the transmitter doesn't take any power unless it's actually
transmitting something.  After that, it's linear with how much you transmit.
There may be significant overhead on each packet.

So if you are using transmit power you are probably doing useful work.
(That's assuming that you call maintaining the mesh topology useful and
things like that.)