problems using the measure activity.

david at lang.hm david at lang.hm
Mon Feb 11 02:06:48 EST 2008

several of us took our XO laptops to the SCALE conferance this weekend. We
got a LOT of attention (you couldn't walk down the hallway with one
without people asking about them, I stepped out of a class at the
afternoon break on friday and didn't make it down to the registration desk
for 5 hours)

however when we attempted to demo the measure activity we just could not
figure out how to make it work. we got it working three times over the
weekend (among a dozen or more tries).

we has laptops with the 650 build, the -rc2 build, and the signed build
released in Jan (one of them started with a joyride build as of
mid-week). no matter which combinations of builds we tried, we were not
able to repeat a sucess.

could somone explain step-by-step what is supposed to happen (and what
screen we need to be on when to see the result) I have a pair of boxes
which are now on the -rc2 build, so I can try and see if I can get this to
work reliably.

we also had problems with recent builds that while the laptops were taking
measurements they would go to sleep, breaking the connection and
terminating the joint activity, the one sucess we had with -rc2 machines
required that the person holding each laptop keep masaging the mouse pad
to keep the machine awake.

we looked in the application bar for the activity to show up as the result
of an invite, useually it wouldn't show up at all, and sometimes when it
showed up we still weren't able to get the two machines to work togeather.

when it works it's a great demo, but it's extremely frustrating thing to
try and get it to work and fail.

David Lang