[Community-news] OLPC News (2008-02-09)

Richard A. Smith richard at laptop.org
Sun Feb 10 22:19:12 EST 2008

Jameson "Chema" Quinn wrote:

> re: turn off the network when not contributing
> I second this idea, if it can be implemented.
>
> Separate from suspended battery life, there is sleep life (I have to say
> I still think these words are backwards. Suspend = automatic, screen on,
> sleep= power button or close case, screen off; right?).

I think of sleep as a much lower power state than suspend you keep ram
up but little else.  I use the term auto-suspend and forced-suspend to
differentiate between when the laptop is idle and when you have closed
the lid.  So right now I don't see us as having a "sleep" mode.  Sleep
== off.  Eventually we will want the XO to be able to drop to those
really low power levels.

> together?). Also, no matter what the mesh situation, a sleeping laptop
> should shut down the network when it gets below some threshold - I'd
> guess about 10-15% battery - and possibly even turn off completely to
> save the RAM power drain too.

There are 2 IO lines from the EC to the WLAN module to indicate 4
battery states.  So things like this are going to be possible.

--
Richard Smith  <richard at laptop.org>
One Laptop Per Child