status of startup speedup
michael at laptop.org
Fri Feb 8 14:23:50 EST 2008
> The only remaining issue is that activities cannot update their journal
> entries. They are able to create the entries in the datastore, but the
> second call to the DS service fails.
Please publish the traceback so that I can help you debug the situation.
Next, some notes and some questions about your patch:
* In the second hunk, I'd like to replace the big os.environ block with
for key in (...):
os.environ[key] = env[key]
That being said, is there a good reason for selectively using values from
os.environ instead of using everything?
* By convention, the first argument to log() should be a format string.
* I think your patch breaks rainbow's strace support. Strace support can
probably be fixed by forking a second time, then instructing strace to trace
to the pid of the parent; however, this will lead to interleaved writes to
the shared file descriptors.
* Why is it necessary to import gtk twice?
* I am extremely uncomfortable importing all of telepathy, sugar, dbus, and gtk
into the main rainbow process before it has dropped privilege. Unfortunately,
we must drop privilege after forking and the imports must be done before
forking. (Also, unfortunately, all of sugar, telepathy, and the datastore
have root access through sudo. I'll be trying to change this in coming
* Rainbow is currently made available under the MIT license. You offered your
sugaractivity.py file under the GPL2+ license. Are you willing to offer it
under the MIT license?
Anyhow, thanks very much for your hard work,
More information about the Devel