Keyboard layout: switching from Amharic <> US

James james at openspark.com
Sat Feb 9 11:48:42 EST 2008

On 9 Feb 2008, at 10:58, Simon Schampijer wrote:
> Short term solution;
>
> - switch to a virtual console (alt+ctrl+F1 or alt+ctrl+F2) F1 is the
> mesh view key and F2 the friends view key
> - edit /home/olpc/.i18n
> - nano /home/olpc/.i18n
>    - LANG="en_US.UTF-8"
>    - ctrl+o for save and ctrl+x for quitting

Hi Simon,

Thanks for your rapid response.

I got into the virtual console, logged in as root, and edited /home/
olpc/.i18n using nano, as you suggested.  So far, so good.

How should I have left the virtual console to return to the Sugar GUI?

I exited from the root account, then rebooted the machine.  It is now
most unhappy.  The virtual console appears and seems to cycle through
the same process over and over.  Eventually it settles down and
displays the following:

   expected keysim, got KF86dbdBrightnessUp: line 72 of pc
   xinit: No such file or directory (errno 2): Cannot register with
ConsoleKit: org.freedesktop.CkConnector.Error: Unable to open session:
Failed to connect to socket /var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket: No such
file or directory
   Xlib: extension "XFree86-Misc" missing on display ":0.0".
   the XKEYBOARD keymap compiler reports:
   > Warning: Multiple names for keycode 211
   >          Using <1211>, ignoring <AB11>
   expected keysym, got KF86KbdLightOnOff; line 70 of pc
   expected keysym, got KF86KbdBrightnessDown; line 71 of pc
   expected keysym, got KF86KbdBrightnessUp; line 72 of pc
   > Warning: Type "ONE_LEVEL" has 1 levers, but <HALT> has 2 symbols
   >          Ignoring extra symbols
   Errors from xkbcomp are not fatal to the Xserver
   Traceback (most recent call last):
   <Many lines which could be important snipped>

   Backtrace:
   <Lines numbered from 0 to 7 snipped>

   Fatal server error
   Caught signal 11: server aborting

   Waiting for X server to shut down

   INIT: Id "x" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes

What should I do now?

NOTE: Before I set /home/olpc/.i18n to...

   LANG=am_ET.UTF-8

... it read ...

   LANG=""

... and not ...

   LANG=en_US.UTF-8

... as it does now.

Also, I initially modified both /home/olpc/.i18n and /etc/sysconfig/
keyboard in order to display Amharic, but only changed /home/
olpc/.i18n when attempting to convert back to English.

Thanks in advance for your help,

James