Keyboard layout: switching from Amharic <> US

James james at openspark.com
Sat Feb 9 10:36:26 EST 2008

Hi everyone,

Following the first 4 instructions at <http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Ethiopian_Setup
 > I have managed to set my G1G1 XO laptop to accept input in
Amharic.  That's the good news.

The bad news is that I can no longer switch back to a US keyboard.

Even commands typed into the Terminal now appear in Amharic, and
refuse to execute.  I can use the arrow keys in the Terminal to replay
the sequence of commands that led to editing /etc/sysconfig/keyboard
in nano, but I cannot get nano to save my changes.  If I use ^O to
Write Out the file, I find myself in the Journal, but nano is still
open in the Terminal.  If I use ^X to Exit nano, it asks if I want to
save the modified buffer.  Typing "y" produces an Amharic character
which vaguely resembles a Q, and which nano refuses to recognize.

The page at <http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Ethiopian_Setup> helpfully
suggests that:

   You can toggle between the us and the et layouts by hitting the
   group switch key, which is mapped to the rightmost key below enter
   (labeled multiply/divide on US keyboards).

In my experience, pressing this key inserts an x character.  No
combination of modifier keys along with the group switch key seems to
have the desired effect.

Any help in getting my XO back to its initial US settings would be
appreciated.  (Ideally, I'd like to be able to switch between the two
on a regular basis).

Thanks in advance,

James