Proposal: the 'faster' branch.

Bernardo Innocenti bernie at laptop.org
Sat Feb 9 06:05:34 EST 2008

C. Scott Ananian wrote:

> [...]
> So: welcome the 'faster' branch, a repository for all these unsafe
> ideas.
> [...]

Scott, I think this is a great idea!

First thing, I think we need Reinier's script watching it.
Can we prevent it from doing "spurious" runs when stuff gets
changed in joyride but not specifically in faster?

An easy parameter to watch for would be the boot time,
conveniently stored in /home/olpc/.boot_time by the
olpc-session script.

I know, I know... boot time is not our #1 priority. But:
boot time is easy to measure objectively and has a strong
correlation with other performance sensitive parts of the
system.  For example, a kernel with debug enabled is likely
to increase it.

So I think this is an interesting number to watch for until
someone comes up with a comprehensive performance suite.
It would be a little better if we made sugar write it just
before entering the gtk mainloop, so it would take into
account Sugar related optimizations.

--
 \___/
 |___|   Bernardo Innocenti - http://www.codewiz.org/