Update.1 690 very slow on B2-7 XO

Jim Gettys jg at laptop.org
Thu Feb 7 13:26:55 EST 2008

On Wed, 2008-02-06 at 10:42 -0500, Stephen Bannasch wrote:
> We'ved ordered 2 of the G1G1 XOs for development at Concord
> Consortium but since they haven't arrived yet I installed Update.1
> 690 on one of our B2-7 XOs.
>
> The install completed and the system works but it is extremely slow
> -- many minutes to start applications or switch contexts (presumably
> because it only has 128MB of ram).
>
> Questions:
>
> * Is there anything we can do to speed up the B2-7 XO?

No, we do not plan to support the B2's further.  Every day, more MP
systems get built than the sum of developer prototypes; it just doesn't
make sense.  Some things will eventually help B2's but we can't afford
the testing time, so I expect things will stop working.

I'm suprised you were able to install 690 on a B2 in the first place.

> * Are there any older services or configurations which need to be
> deleted or modified?
> * Is it possible to add more RAM?

No.

> I did receive the G1G1 XO I ordered personally and both Eliza (9-yr
> old daughter) and I are very impressed. I'm looking forward to
> digging into the system.

Glad you like it.
                                   - Jim

--