Ratpoison on the XO

Bill Clementson billclem at gmail.com
Wed Feb 6 20:47:07 EST 2008

I installed Xubuntu on a USB stick following the excellent
instructions on the OLPC News Forum. From there, it was a simple
matter to apt-get ratpoison and create a .xsession file with "exec
ratpoison" to start it. However, I would like to be able to run
ratpoison instead of Sugar sometimes on the stock Fedora install that
comes on the XO. Has anyone been able to do this?

I tried creating a .xsession file for xfce and that worked (following
the instructions here: http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Xfce), so I thought
it would work for ratpoison as well. Unfortunately it didn't. All I
did was 'yum install ratpoison' and created a .xsession file with
'exec ratpoison' in it. However, all that happens is that X starts up
and dies, starts and dies, starts and dies, etc until I break in and
delete the .xsession file from the console.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong or what might work?

Note: I also posted this question to the OLPC News Forum:
http://olpcnews.com/forum/index.php?topic=1955.0

TIA,
Bill Clementson