How to create a new MIME type for a Sugar activity?

James Simmons jim.simmons at walgreens.com
Wed Feb 6 10:39:21 EST 2008

Tomeu,

The problem is that my application does not create the Zip files filled
with images, it only reads them.  I had noticed that when I put a flash
drive containing hundreds of images into my XO that it thrashed for
quite a bit and wouldn't let me open any apps until it was done.  I
would guess that it was creating journal entries for each one.  It seems
to me that Sugar is better suited to dealing with individual files than
collections of files, which is how I hit on the idea of putting the
collections in Zip files.  I use a separate Linux box to make the files
using this command:

zip filename.slides *.jpg

Then I copy filename.slides to my flash drive so I can browse the images
on the XO.  I have a straight Python version of my app that I can run on
the XO from the console, and an Activity version that works just fine
from Xbuntu's Sugar Simulator when I use the MIME type of
application/zip.  (No Etoys is installed there).  The problem is that it
is all too easy to launch Etoys on my file on the XO, and that is a
pain.  I was hoping for a way to have the *.slides files linked only to
my app, even though my app did not create them.  I don't see how my app
*could* create a Zip file containing a list of images.  It doesn't seem
like something an Activity could do.

I'd be happy to share the code for my activity with you, but I don't
think it would shed any light on anything.  Basically it uses pygtk to
open a Zip file, navigate through the list of files in response to the
arrow keys on the keyboard, extract the current file to a temp directory
and display it resized to fit the current resolution of the screen.
Then it deletes the temporary file.  That way you can browse through the
images in sequence.  I had thought of putting in a slideshow feature
too.  The problem is getting the program to run by resuming the file
from the Journal.

I'm using my work email account and the application is at home.  I can
send it to you as an attachment later if you still think it would help.

Thanks,

James Simmons