Help for kick off!

Bert Freudenberg bert at
Tue Feb 5 04:52:52 EST 2008

On Feb 5, 2008, at 6:18 , ASWATHY PRASAD wrote:

> Is that all the activities developed in OLPC is in Python? Can't we
> go for any other language? Can't we use C for it?

To develop activities, you can use any language that can talk to X11
and DBus. This is detailed at

However, OLPC encourages programs to be explored and modified
directly on the XO, we do not believe in "black boxes". In particular
the XO supports five development environments:

"(1) Python, from which we have built our user interface and our
activity model; (2) Javascript for browser-based scripting; (3)
Csound, a programmable music and audio environment; (4) Squeak, a
version of Smalltalk embedded into a media-rich authoring
environment; and (5) Logo."

Using one of these is preferred, but you are free to use any
development environment. You will have to bundle the runtime of your
language inside the activity.

- Bert -