Observing games

Morgan Collett morgan.collett at gmail.com
Wed Feb 6 03:58:29 EST 2008

On Feb 6, 2008 5:33 AM, Edward Cherlin <echerlin at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Feb 5, 2008 6:37 PM, Walter Bender <walter at laptop.org> wrote:
> > As I recall, the Connect activitiy was set up to let the first two
> > players "play" and everyone else who joined "observe."
>
> So if we have that code, it should be easy to add to other games. Excellent.
>
> Can somebody put that on a Wiki page, and link to it from a
> development page and the various games pages? Should we bug each of
> the games with this as a feature request?

I'm the maintainer of Connect, although due to higher priorities with
presence and collaboration it isn't being actively developed at the
moment.

By all means take a look at the approach Connect uses, but please note
that it isn't finished, so don't cargo-cult the code.

The intention for Connect is that the first two participants are
players, and further participants are observers, and when a game
finishes, the winner gets to play the first observer and the loser
goes to the bottom of the list. The numbers next to each player show
how many games they have won in this shared activity session.

However, the above isn't implemented at this stage - when one game is
won, nothing further happens. This is the main reason we removed
Connect from Update.1 builds some time ago.

I previously asked for volunteers to work on Connect. Despite some
interest, it hasn't progressed further, so I'll reiterate: Patches
welcome!

Regards
Morgan
--