Observing games

Don Hopkins dhopkins at DonHopkins.com
Tue Feb 5 20:59:54 EST 2008

I want the multi player version of Micropolis (SimCity) [the new one
based on Python that we're developing, not the old X11/TCL/Tk multi
player version] to support different roles, including observing and
chatting.
Some roles (like observing and commenting, or wrecking destruction by
playing the monster or tornado) would be simpler and easy for young kids
to play, and others would be more advanced and require more skill and
trust and communication with other players.
Each player who joins the activity could be shown on the map as an
animated sprite (color coded of their XO user colors) which depicts
their role, that they can move around on the map.
For example, to just observe and comment on a game, you could fly the
helicopter around, and speak to other nearby players through the "PA
system", but not edit the map or change the tax rate.
Different roles come with their own abilities and simple focused user
interfaces (playable with the game controller buttons), like editing the
map with various tools.
Roles could be dealt out to different players like pokemon or magic the
gathering cards, and players could switch between the roles they've been
dealt, instead of everyone playing in "god mode" with all actions
available at all time.
Players, possibly including observers, could vote on various issues,
like building zones, changing the tax rate, electing other players into
offices or jobs, like treasurer in charge of finance, demolition
bulldozing, building roads, zoning land, etc.
Players should be able to publish remarks (time stamped and geocoded)
and articles with screen snapshots (and graphs and charts and map
overlays) in the city newspaper, a blog-like journal that's saved with
the game.
You should be able to view all geocoded articles as icons on the map
like "point of interest" markers, and also on a timeline with a calendar
like a blog.
The Micropolis journal would be something like the stories in The Sims
"Family Albums" that you can upload to The Sims Exchange along with the
game save file, to share with other players.
But it would be more geographically oriented, and more like a regional
newspaper than a family album.

    -Don